Diatonic means the chords are all in the same key. So the jam tracks on this page stay in one key with no borrowed or altered chords.
Progression: C Em | F G | C Em | F C
- C major pentatonic
- C major
Progression: D | D | G | G | A | A | D | D
Target each chord using:
- Major triad arpeggios
- Major pentatonic
- Major scales
Progression: Bm | D | G | F#m
Use the following:
- D major scale (D Ionian = B Aeolian)
- D major pentatonic (D maj pent = B min pent)
- D major triad
- Major/minor triads for each chord
D Major Pentatonic Jam
D | D | Bm7 | Bm7 | Gmaj7 | Gmaj7 | A7 | A7
- D major pentatonic (all five shapes).
- D major.
- Pay attention to the chords and anticipate what’s coming up. Aim for target tones (chord tones of each chord) on beat 1 of each bar.
D Maj Pent Jam
D Mixolydian at 100 bpm
Progression: D | D | C | C | G | G | D | D
- D Mixolydian (G major)
- CAGED arpeggios
- Major pentatonic scales based on CAGED shapes
Jazz Bossa Nova
Progression: Em | F | Em | Em | Dm | Am | Bm7b5
- E Phrygian (C major)
- E minor pentatonic